Saturday, November 22, 2008

california trip number one

Last month in October I grabbed a flight one tuesday night leaving the next morning from Salt Lake City to John Wayne (Orange County, California airport). I had found out that my Grandpa Swenson had 24-48 hours to live. I immediately started looking at every possible flight leaving that night or the next day. Wow, the feeling I got when I heard my Grandpa was sick. It was more of a shock. I had had this idea that he was going to live forever. It had felt like it anyway- him being 85 and so active and young at heart. My Grandpa- he was like my father. I felt like he claimed me as his own child. He was always there for me. Not only did he bless me as a child. He also allowed for me be born in his home. I still don't know why they had it that way but just from that I think there was this special bond between my Grandparents and I. He also baptized me when I was eight. I still remember my mother asking me who I wanted to baptize me. And I responded quickly by saying my Grandpa. How blessed and lucky was I that my parents made a special trip from Oregon down to California ( a 23 hour drive) just so that my Grandpa could baptize me. He was there when I graduated Middle School and high school. My grandparents also made a trip to Utah to be there when I got my patriarchal blessing. I felt like I was very close to my Grandpa though- more then a lot of people. I don't know if it was because when I was a kid I was always with him but our birthdays were just days apart. His birthday was two days after mine. I always remember it because it was so close... Poor Grammy, I always forget which day hers is on. My Grandpa we loved each other so much. We shared some really special memories. My favorite- something I remember the most is as a kid being glued to his lap while he ate (or read the paper, or watched the TV). And him sharing every other bite with me. Our favorite treat I think was peaches sprinkled in sugar in milk.  


Well this trip was very special and I felt very blessed to be there. I was so lucky to be able to go. Used all my birthday money to fly there and back. It was great to say good bye and let him go. I felt wonderful while serving him- changing his sheets or my favorite was to give him a full body lotion massage. After everything he had done for me it felt good to be there and to help out in any way I could. I think we all did. It was an experience that I was lucky to have.. to be there to watch my family come together and to help out in their own special way and to share their unique and special talents. Here are some pictures from this trip.

My Grammy. The rock of our family. She was so strong
through all of this. They had a wonderful life together. They loved each other so much. 
I love you too, Grammy. 
Showing Grandpa Katie's new baby, Coleman. What a sweet little spirit he is. 
It was so nice to have him there. To have that full circle of life. 
One night we spent the evening singing hymns to Grandpa. It was a very special
night. It was very touching. The room was filled with love. 
I love my family very much. How lucky and blessed I am to 
have had my Grandpa Merrill in my life and all my other extended family. 
Thank you all, really thank you for all of you being there for me. 
you know who you are 
I ♥ you guys